Sunday 19 January 2014

My first finish of 2014

Finish Along 2014
 
Joining the FAL is obviously working as I've made my first finish, though probably the easiest one on my list. I managed to get my VW cushion done.
 
 
It isn't really as wonky as it looks, just that I didn't have the correct size for the cushion pad. The one I've used is 2 inches too small ( 18 inch squared as opposed to the necessary 20 inch squared).
 
After wrestling with the piping, I couldn't face putting in a zip, concealed or otherwise, so I just made a simple envelope for the back.
 
 
 
 
The backing is a Michael Miller fabric called 'We come in Peace' and conveniently featuring VW vans and some non-scary aliens. So this is going to a colleague called Gaynor who is going to auction it  at a VW fan club to raise money for charity.
 
Cushion Stats:18 inches square
 
Front made using Tula Pink VW pattern heavily modified to be the same as a photo Gaynor sent me. Base fabric Kona cotton in Teal and Aqua. VW made from scraps. Front quilted in straight lines 1/2 inch apart using a grey Aurifil 50w
 
Back in Michael Miller's 'We come in Peace'.
Piping in Robert Kaufmans Spot On in orange 
 
 


 

9 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous, Carol and I love the quilting and binding :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter would love this one! And it does look great! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, my dad would certainly looooove it, too! A great finish, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how the vans line up perfectly on the back #nailedit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, that's a great pattern and I love your choice of fabric for the backing too. Hope it raises lots of money for charity, I'm sure there'll be plenty VW owners who want to snap it up :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's fabulous - I hope it raises lots of money!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. That will be a popular prize.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great Carol! I'm sure there will be plenty of people wanting to bid on it.

    ReplyDelete