I've actually done 26 all together aiming for 42 total. These blocks are so quick and easy and the photos don't really convey how pretty they are.
I was hoping my first post in 2013 would be about all my New Years resolutions (lose weight, getter more exercise and be kinder to Mr Hare amongst other things) and my crafty projects for the next year. Sadly, this is not to be as Sunday 6th January 2013 ranks up there as one of the worst days in my life. I've had terrible days at work, but that is only to be expected.
For the last few years we have always had a lunch party on the Sunday closest to 12th night. This years was the 6th. We walk up the Sugarloaf in the morning and then have lunch at my house. So, I'd spent all of Saturday cooking for 25 and had got up very early on Sunday to continue with the cooking. At about 09.15 Mr Hare came in to the house from the garden saying 'get some shoes on quick and come outside-the house is on fire!. So I ran outside to see what he was on about and sure enough, one of our chimneys was on fire and huge quantities of smoke were billowing out of the attic. S**t I'd better call 999.
The fire brigade promptly turned up, 3 fire engines no less, the police in large numbers and an ambulance though he wasn't needed.So I stood in the road with my neighbours and watched my house burn. I also had to cancel the lunch so spent the time in the street phoning round to cancel everyone until my battery ran out.I also got very cold as I had no coat or jacket on and I wasn't allowed back in for a while.
I didn't have my camera with me so no pictures of fireman covered in soot. The damage from the fire was bad enough but even worse is the water damage from the hoses. The water is still dripping through, trapped in the ceilings and under the wallpaper. Plus we as yet have no temporary roof because the insurance company have been very slow. So, we have appointed are own loss assessor who has been very good so far.
I've only got a few pictures. My sparkle punch quilt top got caught in the deluge but I've washed it and it seems to be OK.
This is Madlen's bedroom, newly decorated, new ceiling, new carpet etc etc. It's looking like we will have to put all our belongings in storage as the damage is much more extensive than it appears at first. Still, all the usual cliches come to mind. No-one was hurt, the belongings are only stuff and we could do with a clearout anyway. Plus our friends and neighbours have been great. Our very dear friends Ken and Trisha arrived as the house was burning. They then helped move the furniture etc and
were a fantastic help.
I gave most of the food away, as I felt quite sick.We will know today how bad things are.
To end on a positive note, this year I want to make a quilt like this