Tuesday 12 January 2016

Value Quilt Ta-Da!

My first finish of 2016, whoo hoo!!. This quilt is a gift for my friend Michelle and her husband and took me a year to make. That's not as bad as it sounds, as I made it as a leaders and enders quilt and also it is very big, roughly 96 inches square prior to quilting and washing.

 
It is made of HST's which are a mixture of scraps and fabrics from my stash. I'd never quilted a quilt as big as this before. I initially started off doing fairly intricate quilting and rapidly realised that firstly it wouldn't show up that much as the quilt is busy and secondly that it would take forever. So I changed to doing a simple loop that looks like circles. The bias edges were a bitch but somehow ended up OK.
 
 
I bound it with strips made from scraps left over from  a Riley Blake extra wide zig zag  in white and blue that I had used for another quilt. I added a small bit of left over binding from the Bright Bamboo quilt
 
 
I used Warm and White for the batting, as this was the only one available for sale that was wide enough.
 
Quilt Stats
Size : 88 x 87 inches
 
Front : 4 inch ( finished size) HST's from scraps and stash
 
Back : Extra wide  Architextures crosshatch in grey ( Carolyn Friedlander)
 
Wadding: Warm and White
 
Binding: White and blue zig zag and Groovy from Caleb Grey Design
 
 Quilted with Glide (40 wt) in grey on top and Wonderfil 80 in white in the bobbin
 
I'm really pleased with it and it is prettier than it looks in the photos.
 
Just got to label it before handing it over on Thursday.
 
Linking up with  :
 



Scraptastic Tuesday  
 
And also when the time comes with 2016 Q1 FAL:
 

2016 FAL

5 comments:

  1. It's a beauty! So colourful. There are ways around the bias triangles on edge but maybe you didn't have that option? Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. so very pretty. I love scrappy.
    Kathleen Mary
    https://kathysnest32.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I just happened upon your lovely finish and now will go share it on our FAL fb page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS QUILT! Beautiful combination of the perfect fabrics with a fab pattern. Super idea for quilting it, too. Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete